Mountains'n'Stuff

It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:19 pm 

...or climb volcanoes in Mexico

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:57 pm 

Nice! Did you fly into Mexico City? Any safety/drug-cartel/kidnapping/extortion issues? Do you speak Spanish?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:00 pm 

Believe me, i would much rather be on that volcano than sitting here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:23 pm 

took bus from DF airport straight to Puebla, branched out from there. I speak enough Spanish to get by, didn't use guides/etc - flew by the seat of the ole pants. No issues with getting bothered.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:45 pm 

I wanna climb Izta and Popo on a significant date and draw strength from the volcanos to burn my enemies, Crowley-style.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:25 pm 

toxo wrote:
I wanna climb Izta and Popo on a significant date and draw strength from the volcanos to burn my enemies, Crowley-style.

At night you could see the orange light from the lava in the Popo crater. Too nice.

+1 on burning of the enemies. Speaking of - keep getting booted on SP with the quickness. Chief must be slobbing some serious knob over there.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:49 pm 

The Chef wrote:
At night you could see the orange light from the lava in the Popo crater. Too nice.

I will cast things of my enemies into the lava and watch them burn.

The Chef wrote:
Chief must be slobbing some serious knob over there.

He was trained by the best.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:49 am 

The Chef wrote:
toxo wrote:

Yup

Nice photos and a great adventure!!!

Volcanoes and Altitude are both addictive. But dangerous.

We climbed Mayon in the Phils in 1980. Spent three days on the side trapped in a Typhoon. My sleeping arrangements were a cheap blanket I'd stolen from a Florida motel on Spring Break. Exploded out of the shack around 4am one morning. Near the crater, we were sprayed with those gray and red pumice rocks like you see around the plants at MacDonalds. Hot and sharp. To say nothing of the smoke that smell like rotten eggs. I tried to slither up on my belly, my clothes got shredded and I dropped the water jug (we had a big jug for both of us). It bounced several thousand feet down. That was finis.

So was this the highest you've been? Altitude is really addictive. Like a space flight. The rest of your life can seem so bland and colorless after.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:14 pm 

Ching Lee wrote:
OMG you are amazing yet another septic tank to climb the same mountains as every one else, well done retard, did you go to jail?

Jesus, you're lulzy. I'm the retard? You do realize your brain is a tiny moon orbiting my planet, right? To answer your somewhat other relevant question - these mountains would not be my first choice, but they are the cheapest/closest way I could see how I did above 14,500 - couple of walk-ups that would allow me to test my head at higher altitudes. Now that I see it's not an issue for me, we crank up the technical aspect at altitude. Oh, and then we'll take pictures of a boulder with routes on it named after Daria. That's important too.

dafuq? wrote:
Yup

Nice photos and a great adventure!!!

Volcanoes and Altitude are both addictive. But dangerous.

We climbed Mayon in the Phils in 1980. Spent three days on the side trapped in a Typhoon. My sleeping arrangements were a cheap blanket I'd stolen from a Florida motel on Spring Break. Exploded out of the shack around 4am one morning. Near the crater, we were sprayed with those gray and red pumice rocks like you see around the plants at MacDonalds. Hot and sharp. To say nothing of the smoke that smell like rotten eggs. I tried to slither up on my belly, my clothes got shredded and I dropped the water jug (we had a big jug for both of us). It bounced several thousand feet down. That was finis.

So was this the highest you've been? Altitude is really addictive. Like a space flight. The rest of your life can seem so bland and colorless after.

Not bad, we heard a tale of several climbers on Popo being shredded by a high-speed hot rocks like you're describing back in the late 90s, I believe. This is the highest I've been to date, but I don't see getting up any higher than 20/21,000...I'd rather do technical routes on moderately high peaks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:16 pm 

Chef, Matt does not consider it a trip unless you got arrested at the border upon reentry for trying to reset your three month tourist visa limit.

You were not around last summer when that epic unfolded.