It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:12 pm 

Dr. Poedtke wrote:
Heard on the cold. I actually prefer it that way - good training. Luckily the climbing isn't that stout, so you can get away with frozen fangers.

I also have this weird attraction to the cold. Same trip I mentioned above from Agassiz, another partner and I went up Thunderbolt the day before, and there was verglas all over the place once you exit the chute, and it was pretty cold; no sun at all except at the summit block. He was having problems with his hands, and I think feet a little too. I was really enjoying that aspect of it though. The slippery verglas part was NOT enjoyable though. Otherwise benign low angle slabs became death ramps.

Like an idiot, I went for a swim in that lake by Chocolate Peak on the day out. Holy fucking shit that was cold.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:22 pm 

Donner Kebab Party wrote:
Oh, also, I have the same eyes for Feather Couloir. Another listee.

Yeah, looks incredible.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:45 pm 

Like an idiot, I went for a swim in that lake by Chocolate Peak on the day out. Holy fucking shit that was cold.

I need to go up to that high lake somewhere in the distant vicinity around Whitney sometime for a swim. Right now my record for swimming is 11,300 ft in the highest of the Sphinx Lakes (and by swimming, I mean getting in the water and staying there, none of that pussy jump in, get out immediately shit). Haven't really had my heart in it for a few years though. I need to swim more this spring/summer/fall.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:04 pm 

Okay, I looked it up. It was Lake Ruwau; 11,044.

I used to do a fair amount of cold water swimming--years ago. I wasn't quite prepared for how cold that was going to feel though. My two other companions who went in waded in on a little beach, but only got up to about mid thigh. I dove in off a ledge. Fuck. Swam out a little, swam back. It hurt.

Are you talking about Iceberg Lake by Whitney?

The ultimate to me up there would be Tulainyo, north side of Russell. 12,821. Highest named proper lake (i.e., not a tarn, not ephemeral) in the US I believe. I could be wrong though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:39 am 

The ultimate to me up there would be Tulainyo, north side of Russell. 12,821. Highest named proper lake (i.e., not a tarn, not ephemeral) in the US I believe. I could be wrong though.

No, sounds like I mean Tulainyo. I can never remember the name. We usually don't go quite that far south. I guess I'll move that to the top of my August To Do list.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:42 am 

aahz wrote:

No, sounds like I mean Tulainyo. I can never remember the name. We usually don't go quite that far south. I guess I'll move that to the top of my August To Do list.

Funny how my perspective on the Sierra is so colored by proximity. I forget that for bay area/sac/central valley people, the southern Sierra can actually be a lot further; to you, somewhat like say Yosemite is for me.

From home, with traffic gods in alignment, I can actually be in Lone Pine in three hours. It's what makes getting further north sometimes seem excessive. But I do like the cold and snow, and the further south you remain, the less of that stuff there is.

Remind me when you're getting close to going up to Tulainyo and I'll give you beta on the vastly superior approach from the portal (i.e., via Cleaver Col).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:47 am 

Yeah, Lone Pine is FAR for us (7-8 hrs). Even Bishop is ~5-6 hrs, though Tahoe is 1.5-2.5 hrs, Shasta/Lassen are ~3 hrs, The Valley is 3.5 hrs, Twin Lakes is ~4 hrs, Lee Vining/Tioga Pass is 4-4.5hrs, and so on. At least there is an airport ~15 min away, anywhere in the Bay Area is <2hrs (traffic permitting), and we're got beaches within a couple hours, too. It could be worse.