Mountains'n'Stuff

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:41 pm 

I don't feel like typing up tons of text for this one (though it was a pretty spectacular climb), so it will be mostly pictures.

After a leisurely drive over to the Eastside on Saturday in no particular hurry, stopping occasionally to look at things, eat, drink beer, etc., we arrived at Onion Valley just as the sun was starting to fall behind the mountains. Our intention was to climb Dragon Peak and then traverse over to Mt. Gould before descending to Kearsarge Pass and following the trail back to the car. We sat around drinking beer for a while until it got dark. The namesake onions were growing all over, so we tasted some. Yum! Once it was sufficiently dark, Matt threw the tarp and sleeping bag on the ground and we were off to bed. We got up as the sun rose and slowly got ready to get going. We hit the trail and soon diverted up towards Golden Trout Lake (though we kept right to head up the next basin over for Dragon Peak).
-
Looking over at University Peak as we ascended:
-
Looking ahead as we approached the unnamed lakes below Dragon Peak and Dragon Tooth:
-
The first views of the mountain (though I don't think the actual summit is visible):
-
The lakes looked enticing and good for swimming, but we had to press on.
-
Around the last lake...
-
And up to the peak.
-
The scrambling began...
-
-
Looking back at the lakes and out to the Owens Valley:
-
We followed the white band scrambling up the side of the peak.
-
-
-
-
-
There was a gully going up and right, but we weren't sure it would go (we found out later that it probably would have been fine according to Secor).
-
Instead we descended slightly and headed for the col between Dragon Peak and the unnamed peak between Dragon and Gould.
-
-
Looking back the way we came:
-
After traversing some scree and loose talus, a gully went up right. We might have been able to following it up, but we opted to climb class 4/5 stuff up to the left to hit the ridgeline. Notice a tiny Matt in the picture.
-
We finally hit the ridge and sat for a while. Toxo and I were feeling the altitude a bit. We had a bit to eat and some beer before pressing on.
-
But soon we were on our way up, up, up...
-
-
First view of Mt. Gould off in the distance (it's the pointy pinnacle way in the back):
-
Then it was just lots of scrambling through the complex maze of towers toward the summit.
-
Finally, we reached the "famous" ledge traverse that is either 3rd or "scary 4th" class depending on who you talk to.
-
But it actually goes at class 2 (at least on the way up).
-
Views from the summit:
-
-
-
-
After sitting for quite a while, we headed down.
-
Feels like 3rd class on the way down.
-
Looking back up toward the summit:
-
Back down through the towers to the ridge and the traverse over to Gould:
-
-
-
-
-
-
Looking back toward Dragon Peak:
-
We popped up on a peaklet between Gould and Dragon, but there was still more ridge to traverse. It looked easy, but was surprisingly spicy. It took us a while to navigate through it (we ended up climbing class 4/5 stuff), though I'm sure there is an easier way.
-
Looking back at Dragon again:
-
The rest of the trek was easy slogging over to Gould.
-
Matt found a weather box that contained some oxygen canisters. Not sure why they were there.
-
‪Matt on the summit of Gould:
-
I didn't take many pictures from the summit. It's a little tricky to get up and down from the actual summit pinnacle. Some taunting from Matt got toxo and I up/down it though. Soon we were scree-skiing down to Kearsarge Pass.
-
-
A view on the way down (University Peak and some cool pinnacles):
-
We got down before dark (despite all the switchbacks), but by the time we got down to Independence everything was closed. We had to drive to Bishop to get some food. We slept somewhere off of 168 out of Bishop, but I wasn't feeling that good the next day, so we just cruised home (stopping by Mono Lake, Twin Lakes, etc.).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:12 pm 

Yup. Borderline unroped.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:23 pm 

FUN FACT about Dragon Peak: Daria summited it during the 2009 Sierra Challenge (It was not one of the Challenge Peaks, and she only succeeded at a single Challenge Peak that year).

dafuq wrote:
Yup. Borderline unroped.

U slip, U lose, lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:27 pm 

Looks like you guys had a good time. And you ended up bagging Gould, too. Good job. You must not have been hungover.... ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:43 pm 

dafuq wrote:
Yup. Borderline unroped.

Meh. It was class 2 up, class 3 down. Unless it's raining or icy at the time, anyone who thinks otherwise is a pussy. I've heard it called scary 4th class, but the only scary 4th that I climbed that day was nowhere near that part of the route.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:47 pm 

Phx wrote:
You must not have been hungover.... ;)

Nope, not this time. Matt was very hungover when we did north ridge of Price (that's why he did the all beer ascent, hair of the dog and all). Toxo was pretty hungover this morning as well, but she finally made it to work.

Next time we get together, we'll have to set aside at least one day to not be hungover so we can climb something. Any chance you can make it out to the Eastside anytime soon? We could make a party of it before Matt heads back to New Zealand.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:48 pm 

dafuq wrote:
Yup. Borderline unroped.

toxo wrote:
U slip, U lose, lol.

No shit. Nice exposure. Great shot.

Matt looks like he's having fun with you guys. Not sure why he is wanting to get back with butters. He only gets burned with her.

Looks bone dry up there

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:00 pm 

butitsadryheat wrote:
Looks bone dry up there

There was only one snow field at the base of the gully. The rest is bone dry.

The lakes would be great to camp at. They seem to be full of fish. When we were leaving in the evening, the fish were jumping out of the water, catching skeeters.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:19 pm 

We were at (Drunken)Sailor Lake in the Sabrina Basin once, and at sunrise and sunset, it looked like it was literally sprinkling/raining due to the fish eating. My brother may have it on his camera still. It was pretty cool.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:49 am 

butitsadryheat wrote:
We were at (Drunken)Sailor Lake in the Sabrina Basin once, and at sunrise and sunset, it looked like it was literally sprinkling/raining due to the fish eating. My brother may have it on his camera still. It was pretty cool.

Ask and ye shall receive.

http://blip.tv/tvphotog/sailor-lake-fis ... ng-1914541