Mountains'n'Stuff

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Living La Vida Hoca
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:01 pm 

For my first tri, I did the Hunter MT Sprint Distance, high in the Catskills, 7 am Saturday in the rain.

The plan was to get crushed in the swim, rule on the bike, and fall apart in the run. In fact, I didn’t do well anywhere. The swim was in North South lake around two buoys, Collisions with other swimmers continuous. Several swimmers bailed nearly immediately. The route for the bike split was really rough and hilly. One screaming descent in the rain particularly memorable, because a State trooper was holding traffic while I flew down the hill and did a hard left turn onto 28A at the bottom.

The run, started out with a real trail run. Not your average bridle path, but stones and ledges it soon went over to pavement in the campground. In fact, I ran right by my campsite. Total time, 2hrs 14 minutes.

The HITS organization, did a great job on this. An outstanding value. Maybe the plushest race I’ve ever done, with a welcome dinner the night before. The organization has this down to a science. For example, enormous swim buoys that make sighting easy. A really well organized transition area.

I was happy with all my gear. I wore an old EMS bike short and the Tee from the Brooklyn Half. I rode my CX bike with 28mm Gatorskins. I don’t think I would’ve been comfortable on this course with 23s. My bike was a horrid mess after, the brake pads rubbing sand onto my race wheels. I’d put the pads really close for the race. I’m still a little loose swimming in the wetsuit, with the added buoyancy, but wouldn’t have wanted to be in there without it. The coldest I got, was the beginning of the bike. The first part of the bike was a bumpy road in the State Park with speed bumps. When the rain subsided, I was comfy. I ran in my Nimbus with no issues.

I later did some of the Primo Tourist sites in the Cats. Some hikes.

Transition

A swim Buoy

Bling

Thomas Cole was here

Wrecked Car in a steep Ravine

Kaaterskill Falls

Woodstock Head Shoppe

Woodstock sign

Post subject: Re: Living La Vida Hoca
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:11 pm 

Great stuff.

So what do you now prefer: ordinary running races or triathlons?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:39 pm 

I think I will do at least one of these per year. I'm sure I can knock 15 minutes off my time simply avoiding n00b mistakes. I wasted about 5 minutes forgetting my timing chip after I took my wetsuit off. They caught it when I was going onto the bike. Had to run back into Transition and get it.

Each split, I went in too fast, elevated my heart rate and had to dial it back.

Next year, I'm going to do a couple of bike races as well. But running is still very compelling. I've got all the Central Park races really close to my house, it's easy to get ready for, and cheap.

I would even do this one again. They did a great job and it has a really challenging course. It's in an area where I can climb. That ravine with the crashed old car? I prolly shudda had a rope. You can see nobody took the tyres.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:18 am 

Excellent, Hoca.

Check out the MB post thread in OR. I am talking shit about biking and bikers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:48 pm 

dafuq wrote:
Thomas Cole was here

Pulled up the Thomas Cole version. Perhaps a little Artistic license.

So today, I showed up at the gym, still sporting my "Tri Tats". The numbers on my arm and leg. I'd been inclined to remove them but the kids think they're cool.

3.5 miles (<6k) run 12 (20k) bike today.

Gotta 10k to train for and already someone has said the course is too fuqqed for words.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:32 am 

Another Catskills Outing...

After a canceled Marathon, followed by a canceled CX race, I put this one together hastily.
The West Kill hike, was the finish of the Devils Path, which I’d begun 3 1/2 years ago. I’d meant to finish it earlier, but more compelling projects kept popping up. With two days alloted this w/e, I could finish this Saturday and jump back into something new Sunday, I’d begun this summer after the Sprint Tri.

I got up at 3:30 am drove up and did it. I’d been to that TH before, there were no loose parts on it, it was just a long difficult slough, summiting the 6th highest peak in the Cats. It was followed by a 5 mile walk on the roads back to the car to complete the loop. The temperature, was below freezing all day, but wind was light, it was comfortable in the sun.
The night began the actual unknown. I had a possible campsite, but was beat ended up putting the car on a roadside rest area and sleeping 12 hours, waking up as it was becoming light.

I’d planned to be up earlier, I was far from my 2d days objective and there were many chores as well. I arrived at the TH late. I’d put this one together sketchily unlike the day before which had been planned two years before.

Still, it was an excellent adventure, running into roads that weren’t on the map, washed out Bridges, but an unmapped ghost town was in the woods as well as the best Beaver Dam I’ve seen. The trail had lots of water and blown down and it was slow going. I turned around short of my objective and bailed, taking a short cut out through some sort of retreat type private property. It was warmer this day than the day before, probably due to lower elevation.

I also did some tourism on the way. It was a great weekend in the Cats

A painted House in Tannersville

The Beaver Pond

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:10 am 

It's true. I ran 2 miles yesterday and may take the day off. Getting my body twisted all over on an extreme hike, was like a deep tissue massage. You come back stronger and more injury proof in the long run. But that's the long run and I have to live in the present. I have shopping and other hurr durr. It will all sort itself out. I wish they would cancel Thanksgiving.