It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:36 am 

squishy wrote:
What, that's the other chick...not our sweet kristoria...

I believe that's Maxine.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:19 am 

woodsxc wrote:
squishy wrote:
What, that's the other chick...not our sweet kristoria...

I believe that's Maxine.

Ahhhhh, Squishy noticed!!! How cute!

Yup. That's Maxine.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:24 pm 

Ha! Well that explains the different outfits, and what I get for posting at 2:30 AM.

I tend to like action shots more, but this is a nice photo too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:01 pm 

what are the stats for that Devils Path? I've done Hunter and Slide already but from those pics it looks like a nice longer hike, which I need to start doing.

dick...you don't eat tomatoes? what, do you shun ketchup or pasta with red sauce too?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:13 pm 

NO! If I could eat only one thing the rest of my life it might be spaghetti.

Just cannot stand raw ones. Cooked or in sauce is fine. Don't really crave the whole ones that might be in soup or something, but even that is ok.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:24 am 

So kris? I'm thinking of banging out Cornell /Wittenburg /Slide on the 23rd. Day before Easter. Recovery with the family next day. A loop. Stashed MTB if I do it solo.

I'm finding the Catskills section of this forum

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44

much more active than the other.

http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/forums/phpBB-3.0.5/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=246&sid=fa2a7c64bb7bbb2f53ee87d26e4e18c4

Slide Mountain from the east
7.0 miles (one way) over three mountain
3600 ft. elevation gain

If you are looking for a challenging climb in the Catskills this the hike to try. It involves summiting over three mountains along with scrambling and some ladder climbs. It is among the hardest trails in all of the Catskills.

From the Woodland Valley take the Cornell-Wittenberg-Slide Mountain Trail up a road. The trail begins out rocky and moderate for the first 1.15 mile to a bluff. It then will ease until the junction of the Terrace Mountain Trail at about 2.6. The trail soon steepens where by the 3500 sign it becomes a Class 2 trail. There are number of steep pitches when at 3.9 miles you reach the summit of Wittenberg with great views on the summit. From here the trail narrows until reaching a rocky ledge at 4.6 miles. The then steepens rapidly into a class 3 with a large about of caution in winter as you ascent the bluff and then a V in a cliff. The trail then eases again and lead to a side path to the summit of Cornell Mountain at 4.8 miles. The hits a number of overlook until hitting a tight area between ledges. The trail then continues to descend slowly past cmping areas until at 6.2 miles it reaches the lowest point of the col between Cornell and Slide Mountain. The trail then begins to ascend Slide Mountain passing by a number of other campgrounds. At 6.5 the major climb begins (Class 2-3) with a 35 ft. scramble up an outcrop. The next 0.5 miles with go through four ladders and many steep scrambles until reaching the summit at 7.0 miles where you pass the John Burroughs plaque. At 7.05 miles you hit the true summit (no views) and 7.1 miles you hit a beautiful view to the north.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:07 am 

how's snow conditions down in the catskills by late april?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:18 am 

Last year at this time, there was snow/ice above 3,000 feet (900M or so). Since the heavy vegetation keeps you to the trail in spots, you'll be on snow/ice. The trail is worn, so the snow/ice collects in the trail. I was good with just my trekking poles. Though there was one descent that was really scary. Everybody else turned back, electing to re-summit and go back. I've been seeing greater use of micro spikes the last couple of years and may grab a set myself.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:21 am 

Hoca: I can't take time off at Easter. Easter's a big deal for my dad & I need to spend it with him. :roll:

Funny you should mention it though. I was looking at that exact route yesterday.

What else is gruelling in the East here?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:57 am 

Easter is a huge with my Parents as well. So I'll be scampering off soon after I'm done.

Grueling? How about the Great Range Traverse? It's r/t 6 hours closer to Toronto.

http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=2388

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next