Mountains'n'Stuff

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:55 am 

Phxphotog wrote:
dick wrote:
Kristoria I AM NOT VEGAN!!!

Just joking before, I hate half a chicken tonight and who knows what animals in the past. The only thing I will not eat is tomatoes, fish with their heads still attached, and chicken feet.

5'7" and 120... เซ็กซี่มาก

Why do you hate chickens? And you can cut the head off the fish yourself. I'm with you on the chicken feet though.

ha. I meat to write I ATE half a chicken. Not hate.

I just don't like the method in Chinese restaurants of presenting the fish with the head on it, so it watches me when I eat it. If someone wanted to eat me, I want my head removed first. It's more respectful.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:08 pm 

dick wrote:
Nasrettin Hoca wrote:
I'd assumed it meant glacier. Like "Ping Chuan" in Mandarin. But I'm not sure.

You just knew that? How did you determine that?

It means ice. So very close. So do you speak any thai or not?

I'm ashamed of how little Thai I know, given that I own a Thai business. But almost everybody speaks English that I deal with and the people in my biz (shipping) are all Chinese anyway.

I can do a perfect Cambodian style Wai and polite particles which always breaks the ice.

One interesting thing I found last year. I went to Laos for a few days of MTB. Lao, is very close to Thai (Unlike Cambodia or Burma). So the waitress, without a shred of English, dumped the menu and nervously hurried off. Hovering at the kitchen door thinking this wasn't gonna go well with the new Farang.

I looked at the menu, and realized it seemed to be almost a composite of Thai and Chinese and that I could understand it. Enough of it to order something that wouldn't blow my guts out. So I ordered. In Lao. She understood me on the first shot and her eyes nearly popped out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:57 am 

Only a few years ago, I started doing some sort of write up on my adventures. I'd seen people on trips Journaling daily and realized - at the end of a trip - I'd have to think about whether this or that had occurred on which day.

My write ups fall into a couple of different types. The "Narrative" which picks out a couple of the more memorable parts and the Journal, Synopsis or Diary that chronicles more mundane info chronologically. Often, I'll be somewhere with my laptop, do emails nightly and just copy pasta them together and edit after.

Here's the one covering my four Devils Path outings...

25APR 09

Some hike Saturday. Incredible. Either the worst or best hike ever, The Devils Path lives up to the hype. Each of the the three bagged peaks (in excess off 3500 feet) were worse than La Soufiere. Like La Souffiere with ice and snow on some of the steeper places. I actually stemmed twice. So vertical, I needed a rock climbing move.

The numbers like this.
7.45 miles on trail
4 miles or so on like the most horrible bushwack ever to get out to the road
5 miles on paved road back to the car while I witnessed a helicopter rescue of a kid that fell on the first peak.
Got up 4:30 am Got back to the city at 10:30 11 hour hike

Some of it like that Cathedral trail on Katahdin.

Three bruised toes attest to the limits of the light hikers. I was glad I’d tossed in the can of “Deep Woods Off” tenants had left.

I briefly allowed my experiences in the Bushwhack segment to colour my take on the hike. Tired. Grueling. Exactly what I need so I can estimate future projects. The Presi Trav. I'm surprised at the attitudes towards this hike on the forums. Like Death and Maiming. Maybe that's the way kids talk. The buswhack was engendered by them closing a trail. Plowing through undergrowth. Falling backwards into mud. Sliding off a rock shelves when the mud and moss sheet sloughs off. On the ‘whack I managed to hit within 100 meters of my target after 4 miles. Wonder if I could do that after the leaves come out? I doubt it.. I really like hiking new places, for the first time, with the leaves down. I'm very pleased I was able to fit this in, a really strenuous adventure that I usually get only in the context of a larger trip. To do this with the expense of a mere day trip is wonderful. I'm very happy with the results of my exercise program. Though I was so "knackered" I didn't change or anything. Got in the car with my muddy wet hiking stuff still on and drove over 100 miles straight through. Was afraid I'd fall asleep.

Second installment 24MAY2009

My heels are raw. A bad plan with poor execution resulted in my walking between 22 - 24 miles yesterday. I'm cheering the things that didn't go wrong.

I'd been low energy right up to the summit, about 4 miles in but I started to feel better. I'd forgotten my orthotics but my feet didn't miss them, I only noticed this morning. I got back around midnight and didn't fall asleep at the wheel.

The hike, as planned, involved a spur trail up to the Devils Path. Continuing where I’d exited last time. Devils Path over the summit of Plateau MT and continue to Devils Tombstone camp area. Then work my way back to the car with a combination of roads, trails and bushwhack. I'd gotten to the last bushwhack late, having gotten up only at 7 am. I then decided to walk the roads the long way around, about 5 times longer than the 'whack since I could walk on roads in the dark.

So I got to the car at 9:30 pm. In the dark. Having started out just after 10 am. How nice it is hiking on these long days! Still, with a race Sunday, I've, at a minimum, upset my training schedule.

Third installment 20 June 2009

One of the recent TRs I read said this...
With the Presi traverse in the bag, the other two big Northeastern classic traverses were calling my name - the Great Range in the Adirondacks and the Devil's Path in the Catskills.

A new list!! What kills me, is I've done the top Five classic worldwide hikes, but not any of the three here in the Northeast. I've got half of the Devils Path, the Great Range in the Daks would be doable though not as a one day enduro for me. These guys hiked them all in a day. The Presi Traverse may roll to next year. Doing it when the days are long just seems like so much of an advantage that I don't think I would want to do it any other time. I think though that I could get in a piece of the Great Range in the Daks this year. It's about 3 - 4 hours closer each way in the car. Makes an enormous difference now. From the same TR.....
WalksWithBlackFlies and I planned this hike prior to Backpacker’s Magazine’s rating of the Great Range as the USA’s 3rd hardest day-hike

Wow, third hardest. Wonder where the Devil Path ranks? More damage today. Today was the worst so far. Nearly immediately, I took off (I wasn't the only one, the other was smart enough to go back) on a false trail. The false one goes straight up a stream bed, the real one hooks sharply to the left, as I found out much later. Enough people take it, it looks like a trail. Freshly stirred earth and leaves. Goes up say 30 or so deg and becomes a lovely waterfall complex. I got wet climbing this and it degenerated into a rock slide. With all the rain we've been having, everything was slippery, muddy and wet. The band above that, was simply frightening. Mossy, loose, vertical. Lots of rotten blow-down against it. The scary part, was the innumerable holes in the rocks right up to Bear Family Size. Everything had to be checked for wildlife. Throwing the trekking poles up followed by a lunge only to find have the hand hold come at me, became nearly routine. After and hour of plunging through the brush, holes and blowdown at the top of the escarpment and with the weather worsening quickly, I took a break, to put on my rainsuit. A really tough bushwhack. On top of all that, my compass was going into powersave almost immediately. Because of the vegetation and the fog and rain, I needed constant readings. I downclimbed. When I did find the trail, I decided even if I did have the energy to do 2600 vertical feet up, it would be hazardous coming down. I'd already fallen several times. Having brought the bike for such an eventuality, I did that for another hour.

Fourth Installment 05DEC2010

I met Kris and Maxine and we spotted the car. A huge. The three previous trips were dominated by the need to get back to the car. Snowed lightly the entire day. Temps well below freezing, but the only wind was at the summit and there it was paralyzing. I’d dressed such that I needed to keep moving. But that was the plan.

The path up to the summit of Hunter was a normal hiking trail. This section of the Devils Path, was much easier than the part I’d done on the other three installments. About 1 inch of snow up top.

Coming down was more Devil-like. Fell twice. No damage. Overall, a nice easy hike.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:16 am 

dick wrote:

:clap:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:22 am 

aahz wrote:
dick wrote:

:clap:

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:42 pm 

Damnit. I guess I have to starting writing my posts in MS Word and copying them over like Bob does.

:oops:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:03 am 

A few pics from the Western Terminus of the Devil's Path (Mount Hunter), Sunday Dec 5th, with John and Maxine. I really love those icicles.

Attachment:
IMG_1067.JPG
IMG_1067.JPG [ 754.31 KiB | Viewed 4948 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1073.JPG
IMG_1073.JPG [ 960.95 KiB | Viewed 4948 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1079.JPG
IMG_1079.JPG [ 710.34 KiB | Viewed 4948 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1092.JPG
IMG_1092.JPG [ 1.04 MiB | Viewed 4948 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1110.JPG
IMG_1110.JPG [ 395.52 KiB | Viewed 4948 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1114.JPG
IMG_1114.JPG [ 883.16 KiB | Viewed 4948 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1119.JPG
IMG_1119.JPG [ 868.52 KiB | Viewed 4948 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1121.JPG
IMG_1121.JPG [ 835.34 KiB | Viewed 4948 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:22 am 

And here are a few pics from the Eastern Terminus of the Devil's Path, Saturday Dec 4, 2010. Just a lovely hike ...
Attachment:
IMG_0974.JPG
IMG_0974.JPG [ 952.23 KiB | Viewed 4948 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_0975.JPG
IMG_0975.JPG [ 1007.08 KiB | Viewed 4948 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_0978.JPG
IMG_0978.JPG [ 956.58 KiB | Viewed 4948 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_0979.JPG
IMG_0979.JPG [ 1.09 MiB | Viewed 4948 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_0996.JPG
IMG_0996.JPG [ 861.77 KiB | Viewed 4948 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_1002.JPG
IMG_1002.JPG [ 348.71 KiB | Viewed 4948 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_1005.JPG
IMG_1005.JPG [ 783 KiB | Viewed 4948 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_1030.JPG
IMG_1030.JPG [ 396.36 KiB | Viewed 4948 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_1037.JPG
IMG_1037.JPG [ 341.87 KiB | Viewed 4948 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_1040.JPG
IMG_1040.JPG [ 830.69 KiB | Viewed 4948 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:34 am 

That's a nice shot of you two...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:39 am 
What, that's the other chick...not our sweet kristoria...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next